Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Let's Get Real

The right professional photographer captures the magic of each person - often the twinkle in their eyes or smile, without distraction, which I love, but I also really do love candids of people. This one to me, shows what I actually look like in person. Hair that is rarely tame, lines on face, and years of sun-drenched skin. I like pointing this out, because my professional photos look better than I actually look (except in soft light)!  When so many friends are made on FB, we will often meet in person (finally) and then have quizzical looks. I had one guy say to me, "Wow, you don't look like your pictures!" (and it was not a compliment). And I thought, you're right. And that's OK.

The truth is probably somewhere in the middle. The professionals mess with the lighting until it's right. The pics taken with our phones or other snapshot camera don't necessarily capture the natural light correctly either. Both of these shots were taken outdoors, one with a photographer (Debra Thornton Photography) who worked the lighting on her camera and had the right lens, etc. (although she still felt it was a little washed-out). The other is point and shoot.

And flashes can just make things downright awful. I'm going to skip showing those. The indoor flash just doesn't represent anyone well. 

I have a book of Linda McCartney's photography in the 60s and 70s. Her deal was that she never used a flash indoors or out. Her pics are phenomenal.

Anyhow, I say to this online world of connections: Show your professional shots, but also show your day-to-day shots so that we know what you actually look like if we meet you in person. Even some bad ones. Let's get real. 

No comments:

Post a Comment